Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Something like a star

The reviews for Vincent have been coming out, and almost all of them have been positive. They all have one thing or another that they wish had been different, but since each reviewer seems to have different things that they want changed, I'm not too concerned about that. Every time that I'm in a show that gets reviewed, I always think of two things. The first is a story that the opera director at BYU told me. He said that while he was touring with the Goldovsky opera theater, one of his performances got a very bad review. He was talking to Goldovsky about and the man gave him some great advice: "When I get a bad review, I read it and I throw it away. And when I get a good review I read it and I throw it away."

I think that's a healthy attitude to take. Don't ignore criticism and praise, but don't obsess over them either.

The second thing I think about is really just another way of saying that, but it always seems to come to my mind when dealing with reviews or criticism (constructive or otherwise). It's the last bit of Robert Frost's "Choose Something Like a Star."

So when at times the mob is swayed
To carry praise or blame too far,
We may choose something like a star
To stay our minds on and be staid.

That sentiment is particularly fitting for this opera, given that Vincent van Gogh is inextricably linked with stars in our popular culture. I'm grateful for stars, and for people who see profound things in their shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment