Monday, April 4, 2011

Cast Iron


We bought a cast iron skillet (anyone know why they're always called skillets when they're cast iron and frying pans when they're any other material?) a few months ago, and it is seriously the best thing ever. First, it's non-stick. I mean honestly nonstick. It's ten thousand times more non-stick than a teflon coated pan. Clean-up is so easy, I honestly just have to run some water in it and wipe it out. After that, just rub a little oil on the inside and you're in business.

Cast iron adds more iron to your food, so it actually makes what you're eating healthier. We're especially happy about that because Lydia was quite low on iron for a while, so we try to make sure that she gets enough.

Finally cast iron makes your food taste better. When I start heating up our pan, it gives off the best smell. It's like it remembers every good thing you ever used it to cook and it just adds a little extra flavor to your meals. So basically what I'm saying is that cast iron cookware is awesome. I definitely need to start using it more. Maybe I should get a dutch oven next.

2 comments:

  1. I starting to feel that all I really need are cast iron pans. What exactly is stainless steel for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only think of two things. First, you can actually send it through the dishwasher. That's not really a great reason since cast iron is better if you don't wash it.

    The other reason is that since cast iron maintains the seasoning from previous dishes, if you ever want to cook something and you don't want it to taste vaguely of meat or chilies, then you're better off with stainless steel. That's especially true for fruit-flavored things for instance. Meat-flavored jello doesn't sound very appetizing.

    ReplyDelete