Tuesday, April 5, 2011

DIY


Bonnie and I have been trying to be more frugal, which has resulted in us taking on a lot of DIY type projects. Many of them I've mentioned on the blog like sourdough and planting some herbs and vegetables in pots. I was thinking the other day about these lifestyle changes that we've been making, because I heard someone on the radio say something to the effect that "there is something very satisfying about taking raw materials and turning it into a usable finished product."

I hadn't put the sensation into words yet, but that's exactly how I've felt about doing all this stuff. Bread tastes better when you make it yourself. Vegetables are fresher and healthier when you grow them yourself. Clothes are more stylish...okay well, maybe not that, but seriously, maintaining that sort of competence and independence that was a natural part of life for our ancestors has been surprisingly gratifying for Bonnie and me.

I have also felt a greater connection with my pioneer ancestors as I've tried to learn some of the skills that were so essential in older times. Amazingly enough, in learning the skills of a bygone era, the values of that time come more naturally. In other words, I'm finding that thrift, industry, and frugality aren't necessarily the motivation for living a certain way, but rather the result of living a certain way.

So in summary, I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow as we're trying to save money. On a side note, does anyone know where I can get some good fruit later in the summer so we can try bottling it?

No comments:

Post a Comment