Friday, April 1, 2011

Random moments when art touches you



(Notice: I do not observe April Fools' Day on this blog. Yes, I know I'm boring, but when I'm trying to write about things for which I'm genuinely thankful, it seems somewhat malapropos to be trying to fool people with a childish prank. That or I couldn't think of something funny to do.)

I've watched this thing like ten times today, and I'm still not tired of it. The characters are simple and fun, but their portrayal makes them seem extremely human. Little touches like the lip bite from the girl and the conversations between the astronaut and the guy really show a lot of skill and care on the part of the creator.

As a performer, I'm constantly interested in how people use their bodies and faces to portray a story, and it's done beautifully here. You get the entire story, and the most language that you're presented with is a few written words in the ship, and a few moments where you can read lips (I'm not kidding, you really can). That's quality storytelling.

I love both the artistic eye that went into this and the craftsmanship. You need to have craft before you can have art, and this beautifully demonstrates the craft as well as the art. In a recital situation you'll often hear people say that you can't touch the audience with your first song, but I found myself drawn in to this story and really caring about the characters. I felt a real bittersweet melancholy at the end. Not cutting onions sad or anything, but I was touched. So today I'm grateful for those random, unexpected moments when something in art or nature impacts you in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment