Friday, March 4, 2011

Sesame Street

When I was not a parent, I often listened to and cared what experts said about raising your children. Now I know that it's more about experimenting and finding something that works. And by "works" I mean "will get you through the next month, or week, or day, ...or 10 minutes." One thing that experts say is that you should absolutely not let your kids see television until they are at least 2 years old. From what I can gather from the way that things are presented to me, if Lydia looks at a tv before she turns two, her eyes will never focus properly, she'll lose the ability to have normal face-to-face interactions with others, and she'll essentially be destined for a life on the streets because of my bad parenting.

Now Lydia has had a bad cold for the past day or two, meaning that she's miserable and she spends a lot of time screaming, crying, and wiping snot all over her face and hair. And also our clothes. This is where Sesame Street comes in. You can get all sorts of clips and songs on the internet, and when I put her in my lap and turn on Sesame Street, suddenly she is happy and smiling. She even danced along to some of the songs. So thank you Sesame Street for getting us through at least an hour or two of a long day, even though she is not two yet. Hopefully my child can still be a productive member of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment