Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Seeds (Did you know that they actually grow?)

Bonnie and I have been wanting to try growing some of our own food for a while now, but we've always lived in apartments. Of course we know that people use planters an grow stuff in their windows, but we've just never been good at that sort of thing. Well, we decided to give it a try this year, so we bought some pots and a planter. We decided to grow things straight from seed, instead of buying the already started plants.

Now, I've studied biology quite a bit. I was planning on going to medical school, so I took a lot of science courses during my undergrad. I understand how seeds work and how they grow. Intellectually I grasp the concept of how they work, but when Bonnie and I saw how small the seeds actually were, we both looked at each other not quite believing that they'd actually grow. Well on Saturday I went up to water the things, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but some tiny green shoots and something that rhymes with appear.

I guess it's a human thing that even though you intellectually know something is true, it can be hard to act on that knowledge without your own experience. Well, if you haven't heard it already, I can tell you that seeds actually do grow, and I'm grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment